Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Throwing yarn

So -
I still haven't completed the much elusive Newsboy cap for one of my customers!!! I am consumed by this hat and can not figure out why it eludes me. I thought yesterday was going to be the day and that I would be able to move forward, on to other hats for other customers (who are waiting oh so patiently), alas, no hat. I began several times only to get to the point of realizing it wasn't going well. I would undo the stitching and start over. As my frustration built and the realization that each time I started over I was erasing the previous hour's worth of work which meant I had wasted that hour. That would lead me to think about the board full of orders waiting their turn. All of those index cards hanging on the cork board just staring at me, sending the message of "well, I'm waiting...", each card represents a customer and each customer is someone I care about...

The dominos of my situation began to topple! I thought at one point that I needed to just throw something! Maybe that would unblock the blocked, maybe that would get things moving along as well as giving me a bit of an outlet for my frustration. As I sat there with my crochet hook and yarn in hand I envisioned myself hurling the ball of yarn across the room and sadly realized that there would not be a satisfying crash, no loud bang, nothing to equal what I was feeling - only a soft, wimpy thud.. possibly not even audible. Even my crochet hook could not aide me in my search for an outlet. Crochet hooks are generally small and made out of light metal. I might get a ting, or some small sound but nothing to do justice to the angst I was wanting to express.

So, nothing was thrown. I resolved to try one more time today to complete this blasted hat. I did however find an outlet....those poor chocolate covered cherries had no idea what hit them!

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps I need to loan you my dammit doll. It's great to beat against a table, doorframe, etc. when you're feeling frustrated.

    ReplyDelete