Thursday, January 21, 2010

Basket Weaving

The Newsboy Cap was a hit!
Now that the saga of the first Newsboy has come to a conclusion I can move on, which I have. I made my second Newsboy for a customer today. I believe I could still do better, but ultimately it is my customers who decide. (Although, I am a firm believer in 'we can all do better, always' mentality).
I reached for my next order on the board today and found that, yes, another Newsboy Cap is due. This one is for a friend of a friend who saw a hat my sister was wearing (surprise, surprise, a newsboy) and asked if I could make one. I said I would certainly try. I met with my sister to thoroughly examine the hat in question, and also just to hang with my little sis which is always a good idea. As I looked at the requested hat I realized that I had no idea how to create the pattern on the hat. I didn't know what stitching had been used. So, with the knowledge that I had no idea how to replicate this much demanded hat I turned to the trusty Internet. I was prepared for an hour's worth of searching and possibly much
I began by guessing at the stitch used and I was right - basket weave. Part two of the ordeal is that I have never attempted the basket weave stitch. Hopefully after a couple of videos online and some reading I will have a grasp on what is required for this particular stitch. I am fairly confident that it is not a difficult stitch to learn. God has blessed me with the ability to learn these crochet stitches quickly and I am trusting that his blessing includes the basket weave stitch. We shall see. I will have plenty of opportunity to practice this stitch because not long after the first request was put in for this specific hat our cousin caught a glimpse of my sister's hat and placed her order.
Here I come basket weave stitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment